Phusion Passenger is a fast and robust web server and application server for Ruby, Python and Node.js. It works by integrating into Apache and Nginx and turning them into a fully-featured application server. It has high-profile users such as New York Times, AirBnB, Symantec, Pixar, etc, and comes with many features that make your life easier and your application perform better.
Phusion Passenger is under constant maintenance and development. Version 4.0.14 is a bugfix releases.
Phusion Passenger also has an Enterprise version which comes with a wide array of additional features. By buying Phusion Passenger Enterprise you will directly sponsor the development of the open source version.
- Fixed a bug in Passenger Standalone’s source compiler, for the specific case when the downloaded Nginx binary doesn’t work, and compilation of the Nginx binary did not succeed the first time (e.g. because of missing dependencies).
- Precompiled Ruby native extensions are now automatically downloaded.
- On OS X, Phusion Passenger can now be installed with Homebrew:
brew install passenger brew install nginx --with-passenger
Open source users can install the open source version of 4.0.14 with the following commands. Note that these instructions are very basic and may not cover steps that may be relevant to your specific system, such as setting up the right file permission. Please refer to the in-depth instructions if you have trouble installing.
gem install passenger passenger-install-apache2-module passenger-install-nginx-module
In-depth installation and upgrade instructions can be found in the Installation section of the documentation. The documentation covers.
- Detailed tarball installation instructions.
- Detailed upgrade instructions.
- Installation troubleshooting.
- Installation through APT and YUM.
You can view the documentation online here:
If you would like to stay up to date with Phusion news, please fill in your name and email address below and sign up for our newsletter. We won’t spam you, we promise.