Version 5.0.20 of the Phusion Passenger application server for Ruby, Python, Node.js and Meteor has been released.
If you hadn't already, be sure to check out the many major improvements that the 5.x series of Passenger introduces. And please be aware that you can enjoy enterprise features and sponsor the open source development directly by buying Phusion Passenger Enterprise.
Version 5.0.19 has been skipped because an issue has been found soon after its Git tag was pushed. The changes in 5.0.19 and 5.0.20 together as described on this page.
Union Station improvements
Earlier this week, we released Union Station, our web application monitoring and analytics platform. Union Station aims to help you easily find performance bottlenecks and errors in your application and to help you fix them. Read the announcement or sign up for a trial.
This Passenger release contains various improvements in the Union Station support code, making it more stable and more robust. Passenger now also logs more detailed information.
- Improves Union Station data collection: more Rack I/O events are now logged. The time taken to write out and to close the Rack response body are now logged.
- Improves Union Station data sending: errors are now logged more clearly, and DNS errors are now handled more robustly.
- Improves Union Station troubleshooting: errors can now be diagnosed by running
- Refactors the Union Station Ruby hook code. They have been extracted to external gems. However, they are still bundled with Passenger for ease of use.
- Fixes memory management bugs in Union Station support.
- Improves the error handling in Union Station support.
Miscellaneous minor bug fixes
- Fixes an encoding crash in
passenger-memory-statson OS X in case one or more processes are running on the system with names containing UTF-8 characters. Closes GH-1603.
passenger-config validate-installnow properly handles CR characters in Apache configuration files.
- [Ruby] Fixes handling of HTTP 205 responses, which would cause client connections to freeze.
Please see the installation guide.
Upgrading to 5.0.20
We recommend upgrading to the latest version of Passenger, especially if you are on version 5.0.17 or below.
If you are upgrading from 4.x, please read the 5.0 upgrade notes to learn about potential upgrade caveats.